Friday, June 29, 2007

transformers

Yesterday, I received an unexpected and sudden phone call from my high school buddy who works for MTV. This was for the special private screening of Transformers that will be released next week. He asked if I could reach Zeigfeld by 6.30pm and I was near the Charging Bull at that time. I wrapped up my work stuff in order to make it there in time. Rushing around while changing 3 metros, I could make it to the theater. Surprisingly, the theatre didn't perish in the multiplex culture. Right in the heart of Manhattan, there's an old-style theatre - owned by Viacom - Ziegfeld!

The movie started off with some background (a la Spielberg way). Transformers will certainly have sequels. It is a nice summer animations' based entertainment! One of the best cartoon adaptations I must've seen. The story line and some of the scenes were really amateur - however, in a spielberg movie (esp an animated one), there's more emphasis on graphics than the other characteristics of the movie. LaBeouf probably and Megan Fox would probably thank the casting folks - as they are now, able to launch themselves just like the other actors/actresses who launched via a spielberg movie.

Transformers suffered due to blatant product-placement. GM, Chevy, eBay, Apple, and what not ! However, my view may be jaundiced as I was sitting next to a technical (media industry-wise) guy who kept on pointing to subtle aspects. I guess the product placements may not be as bad because common ppl in US can easily relate to it. I guess they've received the mindshare and want to increase it.

Somewhere, deep down inside, I felt that the movie was partially "inspired" from Japanese animation movies. "You gotta respect the Japanese" was an unnecessary sattirical phrase in the movie somewhere.

Overall, the movie left me with an impression that the production was hurried and Spielberg didn't use discretion in storyline, dialogues, etc. I would give it a 10 out of 10 for creativity in graphics. However, for the dialogues/scripts, may be 5.5 out of 10 - as it was dry on the creativity front. It is definitely a family entertainment (US: PG13) and an iMAX one - no doubt about that !

imdb:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/
movie: http://www.transformersthemovie.com/

No comments: