Sunday, November 18, 2012

ssshhhhh....

NY Times had an opinion over the weekend titled 'The Quiet Ones' As a frequent Acela Express traveler in the Northeastern corridor, I take the Quiet car whenever unaccompanied. I can relate to the author's point of view. Yet, I am not sure why she bangs her keyboard to the degree that it is disturbing to others.

Nonetheless, it was about time someone wrote about this article and the etiquette for the Quiet car. I have seen and confronted insolent behavior by 'repeat offenders'. No, I am not talking about the newbies, who just need guidance. I am talking about those repeat offenders, who when you request still continue to talk loudly and/or have loud cell phone ring tones and/or responding to calls and/or making those calls. Such violators make a wrong choice or end up being in the Quiet car because that may be the only car where they may get two adjacent and available seats.

In the usual cars, there are no such restrictions. Usually, people don't talk loud and/or talk on cell phone for extended conversations. My last trip in a non-quiet car in an Acela had an anecdotal evidence of a violator. This guy took the liberty to make the Acela compartment his office and began a marathon status call with his subordinates with a sharply condescending tone. If the call was such that he was just an infrequent participant then it is fine. However, he would go on with his tirade for almost 25 minutes until someone interrupted him. His incessant tirade was irritating. Since then, I made up my mind to board and travel in the Quiet car whenever unaccompanied to avoid any such unsavory instances.

No comments: