Thursday, December 27, 2007

community service in the city

I felt that I should contribute to the city where I work. Of course, I pay taxes. However, I had this yearning to offer my efforts as well.

Along came an email from one of the volunteering groups in the firm for publicolor volunteering. It was a good opportunity to achieve further honing of my painting skill and also, contributing in some form to the community. Besides, I had never been to that part of the city - a school in Bronx, where every incoming person is asked to pass through metal detectors.

During the effort, I could come across a few teenagers, who appeared eager to learn more about the world. I gave them my contact details if they needed further guidance beyond what we discussed about pursuing dreams despite of difficulties. One of the stories was particularly heart rendering - it was of a sister in a group of three sisters. She was being denied education by her mom as her mom didn't have any money to support her education. Her fees were free but didn't have money for books etc. Fortunately, someone in the group could guide her during the discussion about the resources to tap in order to get that kind of help. She was delighted and I felt happy that I could facilitate that discussion.

Publicolor was started by Ruth Lande Shuman, an industrial designer and is managed by Deven Parekh, a partner in Insight Venture Partners. I found the concept of publicolor unique and creative.

No comments: